In the center of Caldwell County lies Lenoir, the county’s largest city and seat of government. The first settlement in Lenoir was known as Tucker’s Barn, named for the family who settled in the area around the 1760s. The settlement became a large meeting place for many gatherings and became so popular a fiddle tune was composed and written titled “Tucker’s Barn.” Doc Watson eventually recorded this tune in 1964 on an album titled, The Watson Family Tradition.
Ever since the early settlement of German migrants in the1800s, Lenoir grew as a center of furniture manufacturing known for its skills in producing fine furniture and textiles. Major industry giants such as Bernhardt, Broyhill, Hammary, Fairfield Chair, La-Z-Boy, Thomasville, and Kincaid would locate in the city.
In recent years due to globalization, furniture manufacturing has declined but still plays a major role in Lenoir and Caldwell County’s economy. Recently, Lenoir’s downtown has undergone a complete makeover while new employers such as Internet giant Google are a new driving force for Lenoir’s economy.
Lenoir comes alive each summer with activities every weekend. Events include the annual Blackberry Festival, cycling events, regular bluegrass jams and Saturday night concerts, cruise-in car shows, Sculpture Celebration, Friday after Five entertainment and Fabulous Family Films. The city operates three recreation facilities, the Aquatic and Fitness Center, Martin Luther King Center, and Mulberry Recreation Center.
- City information, Collections Department, Finance, Zoning, Water Department (828) 757-2200
- Aquatic and Fitness Center (828) 757-2196
- Fire Department (828) 757-2190
- Police Department (828) 757-2100
- Public Works (828) 757-2183
- Parks & Recreation Department (828) 757-2165
- Sanitation (garbage disposal) (828) 757-2173
- Martin Luther King Center (828) 757-2170
- Mulberry Recreation Center (828) 757-2187
- Main Street (828) 757-2177
- Post Office (828) 754-9053
Founding date: 1851
Services provided: Garbage pickup, recreation, water and sewer, planning, police department and fire and rescue department
Town office: (828) 757-2200
801 West Avenue NW
PO Box 958
Lenoir, NC 28645