Five area resorts are available for winter sports, including skiing!
It might not seem like there would be many skiing opportunities when you visit Lenoir & the NC Foothills, but we do have several resorts in the area that are ideal for skiing, sledding, snow tubing, and snowboarding. Here are the five that you have to choose from:
- Appalachian Ski Mountain – Blowing Rock, North Carolina – This is the oldest ski resort in the Lenoir, North Carolina area. It first opened in the winter of 1962-63. It has grown over the years and now has 12 slopes and a base lodge that is 46,000 square feet in size.
- Mill Ridge Resort – Banner Elk, North Carolina – This is a family resort that is 8 miles southwest of Boone and lies near many attractions, so you can enjoy more than just skiing.
- Sugar Mountain Resort – Banner Elk, North Carolina – This resort has been in operation for 50 years. They offer several different winter activities, including snow tubing, ice skating, and snowshoeing. They also hold snow sports school and have kids’ events. The facility has lodging, dining, shopping, and more.
- Beech Mountain Resort – Banner Elk, North Carolina – This resort has the accolade of being the highest ski area in the eastern U.S. They have 17 slopes on their 98 acres of skiable property, so there are runs for every skill level. You can enjoy any winter sport, including skiing, skating, sledding, and snowboarding.
- Wolf Ridge Ski Resort – Mars Hill, North Carolina – This resort covers 54 acres and offers lighted slopes so that you can enjoy skiing and snowboarding into the evening hours. They have a snow sports school, so anyone can get started with this fun winter activity. You’ll also want to check them out for mountain biking, caving, hiking, whitewater rafting, and horseback riding.